[teacherartexchange] Art and Math research

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 07:12:28 PDT

I teach Middle School Art. We have no elementary art.
Our district's test scores are generally good, but the
elementary math scores are really suffering.

At our all-day inservice yesterday the superintendent.
said that he was open to input from the faculty for
ideas to improve math scores. SO, I'm looking for
research showing art education helping elementary math
comprehension. (maybe if they'd stop teaching them
hamburger and hotdog folds instead of horizontal and
vertical, that would be a start! "box" for rectangle,
"giant brownies" for quarters...)

I have been looking on the NAEA site, which seems to
mostly be about researchers researching research.
Anyway, I have yet to find anything brief and concise
and persuasive.

If any of you can direct me to this research, that
would be great.