Re: [teacherartexchange] Still needing more help...

---------

_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 20:06:37 PDT

Stacie:
    If you just take one day at a time, you will feel much better.
Otherwise, you'll feel even more overwhelmed and exhausted by the day's
end. As someone else recently posted, we've all been down this path at one
time or another. I find that when I'm perfectly candid and frank with the
kids, they listen. If I word my concerns in an "I" message and talk very
softly, I get better results. For instance, "I know that it's been kind of
chaotic the last few days, but I know, if we work together on focusing on
our work without excessive talking, we can accomplish alot." OR "I've
noticed there are several people who have worked hard, quietly and
respectfully. I thank you. There are others that have difficulty following
the classroom rules. I cannot allow the disruptions to continue.
Therefore, from here on out, these are the steps I'm going to have to take
the next time a disruption occurs" Then, list your steps on the board as
you state them outloud and FOLLOW THROUGH whenever the rules are broken.
Call the parents--even if it is the first day of class!!! Parents back up
the teacher 99% of the time. Set the tone...this is YOUR classroom! I
always tell the kids on the first day that this is my "house" and they are
visiting my house each day. I expect them to act appropriately while they
are visiting my house. If I came to their house, I wouldn't put my feet up
on the furniture or use swear words......I'd respect their things and I'd
speak appropriately...(You get the jist I'm sure). The key is to be
consistent, fun-loving, and FAIR.
More later.....I've been at the hs all day putting away supplies and I'm
pooped! Hope this helps a little. I know the whole first time experience
can leave you shaking in your boots...but hang tough!

BF