Re: [teacherartexchange] Quiet A-R-T Sign idea and some activities

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 19:52:46 PDT

I used to use the ART - I wrote mine on the board, and twice that I can
recall there was no ART on the board, so no ART in the room. We cleaned up
and practiced being quiet - the last time was for 20 minutes where the 5th
graders put their heads on the table and sat in the darkened classroom.
During this time I walked around the room, putting my hand on restless
student's shoulders to remind them to be quiet. With around 5 minutes left
of classtime I very quietly began to speak, telling them that I could not
teach in that environment. I let them know how bad I HATED not being able to
do art with them, and that it was no fun to just sit there all that time. I
have not had to use ART on the board since then - seems it became one of
those stories that got passed down, and now just the story itself is
effective. However, as a beginning teacher it was a lifesaver. Don't feel
you have to teach right now - don't talk until students are quiet. Get your
classroom under control, and let them know that when they respect you and
your classroom then they will be ready to learn.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids