Re:[teacherartexchange] Quiet A-R-T Sign idea and some activities

---------

From: Sue Stevens (suestevens_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 17:26:03 PDT

I also like the traffic light idea - so much so I bought the "Yakker
Tracker" from Sax's Art Supply - it cracks me up and the kids love it! It
is actually a traffic light - it stands about 18 inches tall, plugs into the
wall, and really is just a decible reader. It allows you to dial in the
confort level for your classroom in decibles - I usually have it set at 80
(I think the max is 140)....The traffic light sits on green if the decibles
are low. If the sound gets close decibles of the cut off, the yellow light
flashes...and once it hits the max, the red light flashes and a 'siren'
sounds (although it does give you the option of turing off the sound). My
general class rule with the "Yakker Tracker" is that if a student sets it
off deliveratly, then they get a detention. If it goes off because of
general sound, then everyone gets to stay after-class. I think it cost me
in the neighbourhood of $50 canadian...but I love it! The senior kids
actually still ask for it to be put on, even though their classes are no
where near loud enough to set the devise off.

Here is the e-mail link for the product at Sax's - and apparently it's
$39.99 (US)
https://www.schoolspecialtyonline.net/ECommerce
Yacker Tracker?
If "PLEASE QUIET DOWN!" is an all-too-common phrase in your classroom, the
Yacker Tracker is just the tool you need. The 16" high traffic light is an
adjustable sound meter. The green light stays lit as long as classroom noise
stays below your chosen level. When students start to get too loud, a
flashing yellow light warns them to quiet down. If noise reaches 20 decibels
above the setting you've chosen, the red light goes on and a siren sounds.
The siren can be turned off if desired. Yacker Tracker is an effective and
fun way to keep classroom noise at a consistently acceptable level. Color -
black

on the side, they have lesson plans (with great images!)
http://www.saxarts.com/resources/lessonPlans/lessonPlansLevel.jsp

Enjoy!
Sue