Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice about learning disabled students

---------

From: Woody Duncan (woodyduncan_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 13:14:06 PDT

Maggie White wrote:

> SpEd teachers all scheduled their students separately, apart from the
> counselors who scheduled the other students. My class lists would look
> reasonable until the SpEd department sent me the lists of THEIR students
> who would be in my class. To get everyone on the same page before
> scheduling began for the next semester/school year, I would get a list
> of the SpEd students scheduled into my classes, then take that to the
> counselors so they could see how many students were already enrolled in
> my classes before they started scheduling the rest of the school.

I agree with Maggie. You must set up a relationship with your
counselors. My special ed teachers also scheduled their students.
When I first started teaching I had as many as 10+ sped ed students
in one class. I found out that it was the sped teachers plan time.
You must raise this issue with everyone concerned. It effects your
program and it serves no students well. As time passed, the sped
students were spread out and often an aide came with the students.
The aides loved my classes. They were a great help cause you could
turn your back. Aides and Paras must be taught to allow the student
to do the work. Most try to help way too much.
                                        Woody

--
	Woody, Retired in Albuquerque
		mailto:woodyduncan@comcast.net