Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice about learning disabled students

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 18 2005 - 11:10:48 PDT

Betty B wrote:

>And they usually
>are happy drawing with crayons so long as the aide can
>keep them from drawing on the table. Markers or paint
>can be disastrous.

Heehee, once upon a time at the HS, I had the TMH group called the
"Sunshine Girls," who were always laughing and cheerful. I gave them a
special class during my prep a couple times a week. We were doing
simple printmaking and I showed them how to use the brayers to roll the
ink. Two of them worked very carefully, but when I went to a supply
closet to get something, I heard a shriek and a "MS. WHITE, LOOK AT
JOLENE!" Jolene, the lowest of the bunch, had taken the inky brayer and
was rolling it up her arms, shoulders, neck, and face--the parts not
protected by an apron, of course. Ramona went and got the aide and we
had a great laugh; luckily, there was no complaint from Jolene's mother.

Maggie