Re: [teacherartexchange] Mona Bucks, Woody Bucks, etc

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 20:08:27 PDT

I use the Mona Bucks as well. I just walk up to a student that I catch doing
something good and give them one. I reward exceptional artwork (per
student's ability), cleaning the sink just because it needs it, cleaning up
another's mess, helping a classmate, whatever. I don't give them out every
day - sometimes I don't give them out for a couple of weeks. And I never
give them out just to give them out. I don't make sure I'm "fair" - not
everyone will necessarily get one. Some students may get several. I don't
give them out if the student is trying to be good just to get a Mona Buck.
When the students ask what they are for I tell them they are for doing the
right thing, and they may exchange them at the end of the 9 weeks for extra
credit points. I rarely get them back! They are a very simple and effective
way to tell students that they are doing something worthwhile.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids