[teacherartexchange] Advice about learning disabled students

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 18:18:45 PDT

Ok, I have a 6th grade art class at the end of the day that is pretty big -
30 kids. Out of those 30, I think (I have to double check paperwork to be
certain) there are 5 or 6 life skills kids in there. Life skills in our
school are kids that are very low functioning - ones that are learning
things like how to do laundry, still learning basic letters/words, etc. I
also have a couple of other learning disabled kids, but they aren't nearly
as low level. AND...there's a emotionally disabled kid (manic depressive and
aggression issues) who doesn't do well with chaotic situations. Does this
sound like a really bad recipe to anyone else? Today in addition to 30 kids,
I had 3 aides. There were just WAAAAAAY too many people in my classroom.

What do you guys do with very low level students? Do you create an entirely
different lesson for them, or do you let them just do their own thing? I've
never known exactly what to do. I'm just not able to see how I can help
these kids when they're in this particular class setting. I'm glad that
they have aides (I'm not sure if all 3 will always be there) but I'm not
exactly sure what the aides' roles are. Do I just give the project and then
let the aides help them implement it? I know I should go talk to the head
of special ed at this school...but I was wondering how you all handle this.

Heather