Re: [teacherartexchange] Jewelry Making Class in HS

---------

From: croberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 16:41:12 PDT

> Now, I personally have not done any jewelry making of any
> significance...well
> ever. Anyone out there teaching Jewelry? Any ideas of resources, books,
> websites, lessons that I should check out pertaining to Jewelry?
> Patti in Toledo, OH

Here are some ideas...
Last year, my students did engraving on Tagua nut slices like scrimshaw
 http://www.tagua2go.com/ (info on tagua nuts)
and then they inked them, drilled holes in them, and made pendants for a
necklace.

We also did the copper etching, then cut the piece of copper into small
shapes...then drilled holes in them...showed the students how to make jump
rings to connect the pieces of copper to make bracelets.
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Linda-jewelry.htm
Here's more info...

They also learned how to properly use a jewelry saw...they wrapped copper
wire around a dowel, then cut off links to make jump rings. They made
different size jump rings and put them together to make a bracelet.

They learned to bend wire over a dowel and make earring findings...then bend
the wire in a decorative design to make earrings...also added beads.

They learned to make the Egyptian double spiral bracelets.
http://www.landofodds.com/beadschool/studentguide/curriculum/electives/wirework/wire9114.htm

They used polymer clay and a pasta machine to create jewelry.

Right now, that's all I can think of...but if you need any additional info,
write me
croberts18@cox.net

Carolyn

Carolyn Roberts
croberts18@cox.net
www.carolynrobertsart.com

Oodles of Ideas CD-ROMs full of art lesson ideas, handouts, and images for
art educators to use in the classroom

The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
- Albert Einstein