Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice Please...rowdy kids

---------

From: Rick Larson (jrlarson51_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 14:39:36 PDT

Stac ie, sit in the front of the room, smiling, acting natural, and look at
them until they get quiet- don't do anything until they are all looking at
you,( even if it takes a while- you need to look at them like you EXPECT
them to get quiet so you can get started.- then calmly thank them for
getting quiet and get on with whatever you plan. If it is the lesson, rules,
etc. Try to not raise your voice, and never let them see you frazzled. You
can say" I like the way table 2, or johnny is ready ( or showing me he's
ready) The students will, one by one, get quiet to hear their praise.
Whatever you do, don't start until they are all quiet- that's the key. Then
you can establish the rules or guidelines- have them write them if
necessary. This has worked well for me . During class, I give warnings,
and if necessary will walk a student out the door to discuss the problem.
Then reward them with the art bucks when they're good. Some classes I've
had come from their classrooms so noisy, and it may take a little longer,
but they need to know you won't tolerate it. Betsy