Re:[teacherartexchange] masking tape

---------

From: Jerry Vilenski (jvilenski_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 06:41:13 PDT

The best tape I have found is a double-sided tape made
by Scotch. The tape is used primarily in framing and
mounting artwork, and works by laying a thin layer of
adhesive similar in looks to rubber cement. I have
found it works especially well on painted cinder
block, and sticks without puckers or wrinkles. It
will hold very well, and when you are done with it,
you simply rub it off with your fingers or with a
rubber cement eraser. I discovered the versatility of
this tape while preparing art shows and framing work,
a necessity because I realized that hot glue is
suseptible to humidity and moisture and has a tendency
to let go. This stuff does not. You can buy a couple
of dispensing guns for it, that separate the backing
paper from the glue, or just unroll it and tear the
paper backing. The tape is pricey, around $6.00 per
roll, but well worth it. Frame shops use the stuff to
put paper backings on frames and as a type of
dry-mount.
Hope this helps,
Jerry