[teacherartexchange] Stacie

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 17 2005 - 06:00:37 PDT

As far as controlling wild classes...my favorite
solution came from this list serve awhile ago (thanks,
someone!). I teach HS. But this is really a K-12
solution, because it is based on THE TEACHER'S needs,
not the students'. The idea is that I have 3 5-inch
circles, cut out of construction paper and held on our
magnetic chalk board with a magnet clip. The one
exposed on the top of the pile indicates the plan for
the day. Green--anything goes. Yellow--caution,
whispering only. Red--no noise. Students appreciate
the warning, on a few days, that I absolutely cannot
tolerate any noise. (Red). They seem to appreciate
knowing how I feel. But I have only put up red about
twice in the two years I've done it. Just knowing they
respect this keeps me kind of sane. Most days I have
yellow up. Green has been on days of celebrating,
party, holiday, art openings...We can all cut loose
together! Hope this helps.
Beth