Re: [teacherartexchange] Advice Please...rowdy kids

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 19:18:25 PDT

Is this your first week of school? I always count my first week as a wash -
the kids never seem to be ready to learn the first week. I would do a lesson
taught by modeling - you show them step by step how to draw something. I do
this with my K-6 grade classes. With middle school, I would do some drawing
exercises - they love perspective, so maybe do a basic perspective lesson.
If you are just starting out I wouldn't begin a major project - not until
you are sure they are ready to handle more. Don't paint with them or do clay
until you have established discipline, and let them know this. I hold these
two projects out as rewards because that is what the kids want to do most -
so it becomes a sign of responsibility that they have to earn.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids