Re: [teacherartexchange] mixed classes

---------

From: Teresa Sheffey (TSHEFFEY_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 18:58:11 PDT

Stacie,
I have a student who is legally blind, autistic, and mentally retarded. It
has been a challenge (I had him last year...) but I would suggest thinking
about textures and tactile things. Also, depending on your student's level
of blindness, you could consider: Very large paper, very large markers
crayons, stencils (for rubbings), a bright light. My student sits at my
light box and has another light above him. We did alot of crayon rubbings or
use of black markers. I would then have him watercolor over top of his
design. They turned out really good and his family distributed them to other
family members and they were very proud of them. Find out what their
limitations are and then do the best you can. It is challenging but also
fulfilling. You can really make a difference in some of their lives.
This year I have been given more special ed students and I wonder sometimes
how I will make it. I have two autistic, 5 in wheelchairs, and two more who
cannot verbally communicate. One girl uses a box to speak. But I have found
that many of them are very artistic. I tend to work larger with them and
enjoy a bit more abstractness.
Good luck this year.
Teresa in El Paso