Re: [teacherartexchange] tropical fish/bird names

---------

From: Judy Decker (judy.decker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 07:37:07 PDT

Dear Marcia and all,

Here is Sue's pdf file....
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/FishNames.pdf

You can print these out - cut them a part and put in a fish bowl and
have the students select their fish name. It looks like my list of
fish names may have come from Sue? That file was from several years
ago (maybe 2001?). This file will only be online for a few days - so
save it now.

I found several different dogfish that would be fun (Spiny Dogfish)
I also found a file of Fish Names links - but in checking most of the
links were broken. Here are some that are still active.

http://tinyurl.com/amdhk or long URL
http://www.wwf.org.hk/eng/conservation/wl_trade/reef_fish/online_guide/fishnames_eng_alp.html

Common names for fish - click on name to see pictures:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/rfe0.html#cname

Can you imagine what would happen if your darlings found these fish names?
"Spiny Lump Sucker"
"Rock cock"

Here is a question and answer site you might like:
http://www.nefsc.nmfs.gov/faq/
Tie in a little science....

I did fish projects in the spring - That is when I did ceramic fish
with 7th graders - I planned to draw real fish first (real live
goldfish and fighter
fish) -- the next project was going to be fish puns clay sculpture.

Here are some links I found today:

pdf file - you can capture text of names you like:
http://www.seafoodservices.com.au/files/australianfishnameslist.pdf

http://www.marine.csiro.au/caab/namelist.htm

Common Names for Fish (beginning with A):
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/fishspecies/a/commona.htm
Rest of the alphabet:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/fishspecies/a/commonnames.htm
Some photos:
http://freshaquarium.about.com/cs/fishspecies/l/blfishlibrary.htm

This list will make you grin....Sounds like middle school students:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2005/6/3fratello.html
Spotted weakfish
White crappie
Bleeding shiner
Bigmouth sleeper

This should keep you busy for a while selecting fun names to illustrate.
Maybe even allow your student to "pick three" - in case nothing comes
to mind when they select their first name. Then even allow them to
trade names if they want.... but make sure each student has a
different name to illustrate.

I will ask Theresa if she has a list of bird names on file.

Regards,

Judy Decker