[teacherartexchange] Summer books

---------

From: Elizabeth Heisey (elizhiz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 16 2005 - 05:02:40 PDT

Back from summer...and I have found out where
paintings on black velvet originated. Didn't you
always wonder??! Their history is to be found in this
book 'Poplorica' by Martin j. Smith and Patrick J
Kiger in their chapter 'the rise of tacky chic'. What
a hoot. Definitely will use this book this year. Many
chapters are so thought provoking. I actually
found several books like this on library shelf
#306.09. Very fun. How
meanings change for different purposes and the quirky
way things end up as a result. ie, American Culture!

Another book was by Leah Hager Cohen, 'Glass, Paper,
Beans' traces her newspaper, her glass mug and her
coffee (coffee beans) (all from the local coffee shop
where she sits writing) to their real origins,
crushing any commodity
fetishism we may be harboring. Revealing the true
meaning and value of everyday objects.

Glad to be back...Beth