Re:[teacherartexchange] Looking for ideas for K-2 Ceramics

---------

From: christine (kotarsky_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 14 2005 - 11:17:01 PDT

An emementary ceramic lesson I did was with small coils and balls of clay.
The sculpture stood around 5" at the most. This was done with first and 2nd
grade.

They first make a 1/4"pancake" slab base for the coils to be attached. Then
roll several coils and balls. The coils need to be plastic enough to twist
and turn. The students begin to bend and curve the coils leaving negative
space. The small clay balls are added. All is attached with slip and paper
is placed in the negative spaces to help hold it up. After firing paint with
watercolor. They make wonderful non-subjective sculptures as well as
learning about coils and postive and negative space.

I am sorry but I did not take pictures, but they turned out great and I
think all survived.
Christine