[teacherartexchange] legal issues

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 15:26:27 PDT

I was expecting damage to my car when I began teaching in San Francisco.
However, my car has been completely untouched, thank God. It's a miracle.
It's also a bunch of good kids. It's true that sometimes I go back to the
car and find out that someone has been in it and turned the lights on and
the battery is dead, but I solved that by getting a battery charger. Yeah,
it could have been me accidentally turning the light on when I hit the turn
signal. Also, I think that people are able to get into the car even when it
is locked. However, they haven't taken anything except cigarettes out of my
car. I noticed that the elementary kids will actually go into my purse when
I am not looking, trying to get cigarettes away from me if they smell smoke
on my clothing. We are not allowed to smoke on the school grounds, but it
is OK to smoke elsewhere. However, you know how stressful school can be
sometimes, so you are better off not smoking at all if you think you are
going to have to reach for a cigarette in a difficult situation. I know
it's difficult to quit because it took me a long, long time to quit smoking.
But that's another matter. I think the smoke protects me against parasites,
but that's my own personal opinion, not shared by ninety nine percent of the
people in the US.

Another clue, if you are in a bar, don't sit at the bar. Sit at a table.
Some people think that a woman who sits at the bar is automatically a bad
woman. That is a sick attitude, but unfortuantely it affects is adversely.

I also put a license plate holder on my car that says 101st Airborne, so
maybe that helped keep my car safe. There are bumper stickers all over the
place that say Yo soy army, which means I am army, but I haven't put that
one on my car yet. Maybe a little American flag lapel pin would help
prevent your car from getting vandalized, just as a practical matter. I
believe in protective camoflage. When in Rome, do as the Romans do, dress
like the Romans, talk like the Romans, whatever helps. Our foreign visitors
do it, so we ought to be able to do it too.

After awhile you become part of the community and the community becomes
loyal to you, so then you don't have as much trouble. Then you aren't the
new kid on the block anymore. Just think of that in 20 years when you get a
new teacher in your school and she starts having problems.

Jean Womack