Re: [teacherartexchange] Early Childhood / Elementary Resources & Advice?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 12 2005 - 11:02:20 PDT

While I have never taught Pre K, I know that making a game of things works
well. Counting to see who cleans up first, singing the clean up song, and
establishing routine works well for me. For behavior management, I will just
often move the child who is having troubles following directions without
making a big deal about it - usually in an area near me with a different
group. Letting them work towards a goal such as painting during the next
class if they do well today (but then make sure you paint next time!). I
play a Silly Songs CD when they are working which seems to help keep them
focused on their task and not talking with friends. Sometimes if a class is
REALLY loud I will yell really loud to quiet down which startles them into
quiet, then wipe my brow and exclaim "Wow, I hope I don't have to get THAT
grumpy voice out again" (I don't use it often, and sometimes I will just say
"I hope I don't have to get out the grumpy voice" and the kids will giggle
and say they hope not too! *L*) I think if you fill your classroom with
smiles, shoulder pats (or hugs if the students want them), and consistency
they students respond positively.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids