Re: [teacherartexchange] Getting Back our Members

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 07:45:50 PDT

> 2. Members need to show appreciation when help is given.

I agree and disagree with this. I hate e-mails that come across with just a
"thanks", with nothing else to know what the "thanks" was for. Also, when I
ask for help or share my ideas, I feel that all the advice and ideas that I
get are also benefiting everyone else reading. I don't use every idea that
comes my way, and many times the original idea gets scraped because
discussion leads to a different idea. I don't write lesson plans - the
closest I come is what I put on my website. I teach 3 subjects, and would be
writing 14 lesson plans just to start my school year, and on a good week
that number would drop to 8 per week. Also, I don't have expectations of
what those who use my ideas do with them. Just sharing my ideas is my way of
"giving back" cause I sure get more ideas and suggestions than I could ever
use.

> I suspect that all who posted during the rough period in July are also
> getting an increase in Spam?

I'm not sure this is because of the troll. The latest increase seems to be
because of new technology where the spammer is able to get one e-mail
address from an ISP, and then they spoof that ISP. This sends e-mails to
every address at that ISP. Ex. = if you knew my ISP was me@artteacher.com
then you would spoof your e-mail to artteacher.com - this would send it to
everyone else using artteacher.com for their e-mail. This current problem is
crashing many ISPs and driving them crazy. I don't think we can ever be spam
free - I just forward my spam to my ISP (mine has a specific address they
want it sent to) and forget it. I would suggest that everyone who uses the
internet invest in a quality anti-virus program (one that updates daily -
most free ones don't do this) and then follow basic precautions. I am one of
the tech people at school and we have been fighting this battle for the past
year (when my district finally provided us with e-mail through our own
server). The first time someone used their new e-mail online the entire
district became flooded with spam.

Just me putting in my .02! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher