[teacherartexchange] Getting Back our Members

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 11 2005 - 07:00:17 PDT

TeacherArtExchange Members and Staff,

I have been mulling over this..... so I might as well post something.
I did send a note to TeacherArtExchange Staff already (I forwarded
Maggie's post with a reply from me on what I felt needed to be done).
I will keep it brief here.

These are two things I believe need to be done.

1. Getty Staff needs to remove the offensive materials from archives
that violate the posting guidelines.

2. Members need to show appreciation when help is given.

For Members:

Send personal thank yous to members who help you (Off list please). I
have been "testing" new members..... What I post to the list is "free
for the picking". When I take time to write a lengthy reply off list
offering my help/advice, I feel it is a courtesy to reply at least
with a "Thank you, I got your message". If you do not want to take the
time to send each person a personal thank you.... collect all emails
and write one email and send to all of them. THEN at some point come
back to the list and share how you used their advice (give some kind
of summary what you did).

Some of us don't like our ideas to be "invisible". If you came to the
list asking ideas for a lesson - share back to the list the lesson
plan you wrote. I have often spent an hour or two writing up detailed
instructions for list members.... When I ask later to see their lesson
plan, I often get NO reply or simply "Oh I didn't write up a lesson
plan. I don't need to write up lesson plans - I only have to turn in
chicken scratches" (actually, that is almost an exact quote I
received).

Hats off to Stacie Mich. I think she has set a fine example for new
members. She has already shared a unit plan showing how she used
advice from list members. I invite all "newbies" to the list to do the
same as your year progresses.
Stacie's African Art Masks Unit Plan:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/Files/Stacie-Masks.htm

I also invite those who download Stacie's lesson to look in your file
folders and see what K-8 Lesson plan you might be able to share with
Stacie. You can copy and paste your lesson into an Email and send to
the list - or make a post offering to forward it to interested members
(ask that they reply to you off list). I recommend simply posting it
in an email for everyone as that will take you less time.

I suspect that all who posted during the rough period in July are also
getting an increase in Spam? That might be why some members are
"quiet" now. I am getting some very offensive emails in my bulk/spam
folders..... and yes, my own Gmail address has been called "spam"
already (one member's server blocked my off list email - she did
eventually receive it, though).

Please, do not post a reply to this to the list - send replies to me
directly (kaye.deborah@gmail.com)

Deborah