Re: [teacherartexchange] legal issues with students

---------

From: Deb (surreal70_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 10 2005 - 08:31:08 PDT

Betty, I enjoyed your remark about the republicans. A sense of humor always helps. From what you described it sounds like we could work in the same district. Last year one of my coworkers filed a police report and the response was that it was a school matter, not a police matter. One of our teachers was physically threatened and had to change schools as a result because the child who threatened her has a behavior disorder, thus a handicap and "can't help it."

Teahcers do have to be understanding about the various issues their children have but the question is, Where do we draw the line? Just because I teach I have not signed up as perpetual victim. If the smaller issues are delt with more responsibly I really feel that the kids do not get more confident that they can escalate and successfully get away with it. New members of the potential prison population would not make me feel better. I guess you hit on a hot topic for me. I wish you luck. Let me know how it gets resolved. Deb/Kent