[teacherartexchange] legal issues with students

---------

From: Betty B (bettycarol_40_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 22:16:07 PDT

Last April my car was vandalized by five kids, 3 my
students, one homeschool, one high school - sugar in
the gas tank - while parked in front of my boyfriend's
home. They were caught (we weren't there) and held for
the police.

Nothing has been done - I have been told to not expect
to ever be compensated for expense of repair, and to
never expect any consequences for the kids. I'm a low
priority, the state is overwhelmed with juvie cases,
etc. etc.

The trouble is, I'm not officially allowed to know who
they are, and yet I know I will be back in the
classroom with some of them (who have bragged about
doing it) starting next week. And they are obviously
feeling like they can do whatever they want to me with
no consequences.

Have any of you had legal issues with students? How
did you deal?