Re: [teacherartexchange] Art I and Art II Students in Same Class??

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 21:10:26 PDT

Yes, the IDL has both postive and negative qualities - the biggest positive
is it pays more, and it gets me alot of "toys" for my classroom. The
negative is it is more work, especially since I don't know what I'm doing.
My "plan" is to start with a 5 senses drawing, with students bringing in one
item at a time to draw, layering them into a finished drawing. I am really
tossing around the idea of one item at a time, or 5 all at once, but I'm
afraid that some things may not last (taste/smell for instance may end up
being food type items that will go bad). I think starting with sound would
be a great start, cause I'm sure most kids would bring in either their band
instrument or their favorite CD. This should be a good way to start with the
two combined classes. My other class will have 8-10 kids, and my in-house
students run about 17 right now, but they are also a great mix of kids
(don't you love when you get one of those bright academic classes - the type
of kids who like to learn!)

Our orders were all turned in last February, so I'm stuck with what I've got
until after Christmas. Luckily I do have the art fees account, but it only
goes so far. If you're like me tho, you probably have supplies stashed that
you didn't even know you had! I do admit I miss the days when you'd come in
after summer break and get to put away all your new school supplies! As it
is, I shove them in cabinets right before Spring Break (out-of-site,
out-of-mind kind of thing... maybe I ought to go through my cabinets....
*L*)

Summer classes - UGH UGH UGH!!! I'm not sure I have the self-motivation to
do an online class. Do you have a time limit on completing your assingments?
What kind of class is it? Good luck on getting those last 14 lessons knocked
out - what is it they say about teachers being worse than the students when
put in that type of situation? <grin>
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids