Re: [teacherartexchange] Art I and Art II Students in Same Class??

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Aug 09 2005 - 19:36:19 PDT

*LOL* Yes, I have Art I, II, III, IV, AND Independent Study the same hour. I
have a K-12 art program as well, with 2 sections of HS art. What I do is
there are some projects that are good for Art I students - these are done
only by those students. I assign a similar project, only more advanced for
my upper level students. If we are doing a clay bowl, 6" tall, with a lid,
Art II students will include 2 handles and a sculptural element. If it is a
new project I may have all students do the same project, but let my higher
level students know I have higher expectations for them than Art I students.
The largest majority of your students will always be Art I students in a
mixed level class. When my students get to Art III and IV I try to have them
work abit more independantly (well, for the more mature students anyways!)
and giving them more opportunities to express themselves. I will often give
them assignments that cater to their strengths, but push them abit out of
their comfort zone - the girl who wants to draw and paint cats will paint a
grouping of cats monochromatic. Some projects that easily transfer from one
year to the next is still-life drawings and paintings - just change the
subject matter. With a K-12 program I KNOW you don't have time to write new
curriculum each year, so build on what you have, adapt, tweak, make little
changes.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids