Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

[teacherartexchange] Stacie's African Art Masks Lesson - link - resources update

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 07:22:34 PDT

Hi Group,

Stacie did send her lesson to Judy Decker....
Here is the link - I don't need to forward anymore:

Stacie - I forwarded your lesson to 8 members now.

I have been working on my own adaptations of her lesson. I would also
place emphasis on Animal Spirit masks of West Africa (Dogon from Mali
and/or Bobo Bwa/Nuna from Burkina Faso) just because it is easy to
find dance resources on those cultures so students can experience the
whole work of art - costume/dance/music/mask. I love the Kuba masks
and had some very nice prints of various Kuba masks that I displayed,
but did not focus as much on that culture (I had a hard time
remembering the names of the masks - smile).

I came across all of these NEW resources from University of Iowa - Art
and Life of Africa project. Music - photos - video clips from Burkina
Faso. I love the animal spirit masks of the Bobo/Bwa and Nuna. See the
video trailers for dance and costume (DVD's available, but you can get
enough of an idea from the video clips online).

New material on this site by Christopher Roy - Art of Burkina Faso -
Signs and Symbols in African Art and more. Photographs of Burkina
Faso....Listen to Bwa balas, flutes and drums....Nuna drums....
Streaming trailer videos of Nuna masks/dances.....Masks of Bwa Village
trailer (Art is a verb).... African Masks: Burkina Faso video clip.

For Dogon Culture - see African Art:Through the Eyes of Africa (video
available from Crystal Productions). Also see Togu Na and Cheko (Togu
Na is meeting house for the Dogon - also shows the Dama dance with
masks - Cheko is a harvest celebration of the Bamana and neighboring
cultures - good for showing colorful textiles, puppets and some

I think students could draw some nice comparisons/contrast with the
Northwest Coast masks, too.

I will be revising the lesson to use paper mache, cardboard tubes, and
corrugated cardboard as the hands on mask making lesson (all FREE
materials to me). I think I will limit colors to those paints I can
also get for free (miss-mixed paints from paint stores). Those will be
the colors for "our culture".... You will see that cultures from
Burkina Faso and Northwest coast had a limited color palette. Might
have to have some of the kids volunteer to bring in a roll of masking
tape or aluminum foil.

To unsubscribe go to