Re: re:[teacherartexchange] portfolios

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 06:21:15 PDT

I do agree that you have to decide what works for you program. Portfolios
are an individual decision, as are how to deal with no sink, working on a
cart, distributing supplies, etc. I completely empathize with all these - I
teach in a variety of situations daily. Starting out in a dark room with no
sink, seeing grades 3-6 once a week for 45 min., to MS/HS in a large
well-lit art room with too many students, to a computer lab with computers
that constantly break down, to a primary art room with a large deep sink
that students can't reach, with 5 round tables and 27 students crowded
around with 20 min. to do some kind of art. What I have discovered is that
if something doesn't work smoothly and wastes time, then I need to think
about what isn't working and how to make it work more quickly and smoothly.
Portfolios are a blessing for me, cause I pick them up by table, so when it
is time to return them I can pick up the top 6 and give them to the correct
table - takes me less than 1 min. to distribute all portfolios and supplies.
If I worked mainly 3-D I would not use portfolios. As for the artwork losing
it's luster and kids forgetting or discarding the artwork, this has been
discussed several times before, and again, is a personal decision. I do not
find my students any less enthusiastic for waiting. Again, it is how you,
the teacher, approach this.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids