RE: [teacherartexchange] Decisions, decisions...

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 20:25:51 PDT

I'd definately do 2 different syllabi, at least. Early elementary is quite
different than upper elementary, who in turn are quite different than jr
high age. You'll be covering different things and having completely
different expectations from them. The kids themselves won't get much out of
the syllabus in the early elementary grades, so it'll wind up being more of
a letter home.

I'm thinking that your very early elementary may have problems keeping up
with sketchbooks. I probably wouldn't start them until 2nd grade, or maybe
3rd. Then again somone with more experience w/ these grades may have more
advice.

As far as writing goes, I'd probably start it in 2nd grade. Kinders are
often still learning letters, and 1st graders are still learning basic word
spelling. 1st graders might be able to do very short sentences themselves
towards the end of the year. You may want to get them into the habit of
reflecting by having them tell you something about their work, and then
writing it for them. You may not want to invest that much time in it,
though.

Hope that helps
Heather