[teacherartexchange] Poetry Lesson Ideas

---------

From: Deborah Kaye (kaye.deborah_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Aug 07 2005 - 06:45:05 PDT

Hi Group,

Try Acrostic poem using first letters of the student's name (written
vertically) then expanded to tell something about the students on each
line comes to mind.

Dedicated
Enthusiastic
Busy as a bee
On task
Reliable
Answering questions
Honestly

That also includes meaning of the name Deborah (means Bee and Honest).
It can also include character education words.

Students could do self portraits to display with their name poems.

Here is a lesson plan for Emotions and Poetry:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/Colleen-poetry.htm

You might also consider paintings/works of art that are about poems
(or song lyrics). Here is a lesson about The Number Five:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/elem/artmath.htm

Many of Romare Bearden's paintings have song titles - you could find
lyrics for them (although some might just be instrumental - not sure
now).

The five senses poem would be a good one to write looking at Bearden's
work. Many of his works appeal all of the senses. You will find many
Five Senses works listed in Artcyclopedia, too (older still life
mainly).

How about Found Poetry? Poem made up from headlines cut from the newspaper?
Students could glue their "Found Poetry" to drawing paper and
illustrate around it. The text becomes part of the composition.

My husband did a unit on Protest Poetry (Found Poetry). He used lyrics
from songs (mainly from 60s and 70s). This unit was for high school.
Student did very well with that unit - came up with some great social
comment poetry. Of course, he played the music while students worked
(that was back in the days when you could download music and get away
with it - grin. My son made the CDs for him).

Deborah