Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] On using portfolios

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 21:34:20 PDT

I'm not sure that the concept of using portfolios is insanity. I firmly
believe that each teacher should use what concepts and techniques works best
for them and their unique situation. I'm not sure what you are implying with
this - please clarify your thoughts. I use portfolios for storing artworks,
for determining individual growth, for establishing pride, for ownership. If
my students are keeping each and every portfolio, then the time and effort
in constructing, storing, and maintaining their folders should be a positive
thing. My students aren't placing their value on the container, but the
contents contained within, so value has been incorporated into the artwork.
Are you saying that learning and porfolios cannot co-exist?
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids