Re: Re:[teacherartexchange] On using portfolios

---------

_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 18:22:52 PDT

I teach several different classes of art at our high school. One of the
important purposes of a portfolio for each student is to store work in
progress and handouts that are given for each assignment. Also, when we
present units on different artists, those notes are kept in the portfolio.
In addition, students will bring their own markers and those will be stored.
I have no room to store student work that is not completed and extra
markers/folders. Therefore, on the first day of each term, for each
student, a portfolio is made. Our department was given, several years ago,
a huge amount of medium-weight, silver board of some kind...flexible enough
to bend. So, we bend it in half, trim it down, and tape the two sides
shut, leaving the top open. The portfolios fit in the slotted portfolio bin
I have in my room. In between terms, the porfolios are trimmed of the last
student's name and we re-use them all over again. Knock on wood, we've never
had a portfolio stolen or supplies taken from any portfolio. This method
works well for our department.