[teacherartexchange] supplies on a budget

---------

From: Heather Hayes (heatherglenn77_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 08:31:55 PDT

Staci, is there any way that you could ask the principal to let you ask for
an art fee for consumable supplies? The high school I was at last year
charged a $20 art fee per student. It was waived for students with
financial concerns. Yes, we still got some students who didn't pay, but we
were still able to supply kids with what they needed. (some teachers
penalized the kids' grades for not paying the fee) I'm still within the
same district this year, but I've heard conflicting messages on whether I'll
be allowed to do that. While cleaning out my new art room, I've come across
lists of supplies requested from parents in the previous years...and they
have been pretty hefty (one had about 15 or 20 items on it!). I'm assuming
that means that this school hasn't charged a fee in the past. Based on what
I've seen on the lists, I think that even a modest $5 to $10 dollar fee
would wind up being cheaper for the parents in the long run. Since I can
buy in bulk from catalogs and get an educator's discount, I can make that $5
go MUCH farther than the parents themselves can. I'm planning to run the
idea by my principal Monday.

Another way to get supplies would be to join your local yahoo freecycle
group. Freecycle is a list aimed at lowering the amount of garbage going to
landfills by giving away things that are still useful but they no longer
want. You can post to give away items you have, or you can request things
from others. I've gotten boxes of magazines to use in my art room...among
other things. In order to find your local group you should go to the yahoo
groups homepage, and then do a search of regional groups for your area.

Heather