[teacherartexchange] asking vrs. requiring parents to help

---------

From: Diane Davis (dianemdavis_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 07:36:16 PDT

In my school system in MA, (even though it was many years ago when my
kids were small), we suggested to the principal that we would like
parents to supply each child with some of the basics like notebooks,
pencils, pens and/or a few basic art supplies. We were told that the
law in MA (at least at the time, I'd have to see if it has changed) was
that schools provide all that is needed for learning. Thus, parents may
voluntarily give their kids extras to bring to school, but you cannot
ask parents to supply things as supplies. Talk to your principal and
find out the best way to word these notes to parents so that it doesn't
cause problems down the road.
diane