Re: [teacherartexchange] on using portfolios

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 07:05:07 PDT

I do this - a couple of problems with having each child supply their own art
supplies is that school supplies are expensive, and asking that children
bring alot of supplies beyond the classroom teacher's list may alienate some
of your parents (the same ones who you are seeking support from), and not
all children will have supplies. What will you do with those children who
don't bring supplies? If you supply the needed markers or whatever, some of
those students who have the supplies are going to suddenly pretend to lose
theirs cause yours is better, cooler, neater, whatever. You can't ask the
kids to share their own supplies - that is really going to irk some kids (it
would have really ticked me off to have to share my supplies!). By having
each grade level bring in supplies you still end up with not everyone
brining in items, but you get enough that it doesn't matter if you get
enough.

I tried both ways, and each class supplying one item works best for me. If
you live in an affluent area then each child supplying their own would
probably work better.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids