[teacherartexchange] Kente Weavers

---------

From: berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Aug 06 2005 - 07:04:17 PDT

Message: 2
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:30:58 -0400
From: "Andy Carvin" <acarvin@edc.org>
Subject: Video: Kente Weavers of Ashanti

Hi everyone,

Last night, I put together a short vlog (video blog) about tradition
kente weaving
in Ghana?s Ashanti region. Kente, perhaps the most famous West African
textile, is
brightly colored, coming in a variety of patterns, some reserved for use
by Ashanti
royalty. The video was shot in the historic kente weaving village of
Bonwire, about
an hour south of Kumasi. Three weavers are featured, each using a
traditional loom
to make the cloth. The video also contains music performed by Ghanaian
drummer Obo
Addy, used with permission from Alula Records. There are two versions of
the video:
high resolution (13 megs) and low resolution (two megs).

High res video: http://www.andycarvin.com/video/kenteweavers.mov

Low res video: http://www.andycarvin.com/video/kenteweavers2.mov

Production notes:

The video was shot on July 23, 2005 in Bonwire village, Ashanti Region,
Ghana, using
a Konica-Minolta dImage A-200 digital camera. The Quicktime files shot
on the camera
were uploaded to a Macintosh G4 laptop and edited with Final Cut Pro HD
4.5. Both
versions of the video were compressed using the 3ivx compression codec.
Total
editing time was about 90 minutes, including compression.

thanks,
andy