Re: [teacherartexchange] I'm about to cry...

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 20:17:10 PDT

Most of the supplies you listed are what I use for my art program - if you
look at my lessons almost all of them are done with crayons, oil pastels,
cut paper, and tempera. You don't have to have drawing pencils - a regular
box of pencils work fine. My budget just doesn't allow for alot of frills,
but there is a definate postive that comes from this - by your teaching art
with supplies that students have access to, they are more likely to go home
and create. I would have students bring 2 sharpies and 2 #2 pencils to class
to leave in the art room. There are some amazing projects that can be done
with cast off supplies - do altered books with your middle school students
and they will be hooked from day one. I would have students collage their
portfolios with magazine cut outs. You can introduce some great concepts -
maybe have them create a personalized color wheel using items that interest
them? I know you planned on having more supplies, but you will have to deal
with what you have right now. Try having a fundraiser to raise supplies to
purchase more supplies. Ask your local PTO for reproductions. Now is the
time to pull out your creativity hat - don't start the year stressed, cause
you have lots of other stuff to stress about as it is. Good luck!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids