Re: [teacherartexchange] on using portfolios

---------

From: Linda Watson (lsw_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 14:51:57 PDT

I have also been trying to decide about using portfolios. I think the
reason high school students don't take their portfolios home is either (a)
It doesn't look cool carrying a large folder or (b) Many of them are
insecure about their art work, even if it's good!

I agree that I don't want to spend the money on poster or tag boards but I
really do want them to have a place to keep their work. Last year we made
portfolios out of 2 large bookcovers, the only problem being it was too
small for the larger work. I think I will have the students keep the work
that fits in the bookcover portfolios and then I will store the larger
pieces and then roll them for take home (if they will!).

I do not want them to take their work home until the end of the year
because we have opportunities to display art work in the community. Once
they take it home, it is very hard to get back undamaged. At the middle
of the year I'm going to try having a portfolio review to help them
determine if each piece could be improved; the pieces they don't want to
keep, I plan to have them place in a pile. Then, as an assignment, I will
have them choose a piece from another person's discard to glue on a sheet
of paper and extend with their own ideas. Or, I might have them create a
background to collage pieces of their discarded work.

Do any of you have ways to make sturdy portfolios without spending money
on the materials?

Hot and humid in the Houston, TX area,

Lindaw