[teacherartexchange] Elementary Portfolios

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 10:45:00 PDT

Portfolios are a great idea for teachers who love the kids' art work so much
that they want to keep it for themselves instead of sending it home to the
parents so that the parents can see what the kids are doing and save it for
them at home. Portfolios are a great idea for teachers who want to stop the
art program dead in its tracks because the parents have no idea what the
kids are doing in class. Portfolios are an advanced concept appropriate for
AP art for kids who are going to major in art in college.

Jean Womack
Richmond
M..A. in Art Education

kRISTA i WOULD RECOMMEND KEEPING AN ART PORTFOLIO FOR ELEMENTARY. KEEP ALL
AND THEN PERHAPS PURGE UNWANTED ITEMS AS A LESSON IN DECIDING WHAT THE KIDS
WANT TO KEEP. iN MIDDLE SCHOOL I HAVE A GREAT DEAL OF PROBLEMS GETTING KIDS
TO VALUE AND KEEP THEIR ART. MANY OF THEM DO NOT RESPECT THEMSELVES TO
UNDERSTAND THE VALUE OF WHAT THEY HAVE MADE. LEARNING TO SELF CRITIQUE AND
SAVE ART AT AN EARLIER AGE REALLY BUILDS THE ME WITH MYSELF RELATIONSHIP
WHICH IS VERY IMPORTANT AS A LIFE SKILL.

DEB FROM BEAUTIFUL KENT, OHIO