[teacherartexchange] on using portfolios

---------

From: Randy Menninghaus (india99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Aug 05 2005 - 03:34:44 PDT

I have been reading this strand very closely as I have struggled with
portfolios being discarded. the other art teacher at our high school does
not use portfolios. I have an increasing number of students ( more than
half) who abandon or toss as much of the portfolio as possible. I find it
heartbreaking that they have so little desire to take it home. Many
students confess it too much of a hassle to carry it. At the end of the
year I had decided the money spent on folders was a waste and I would not
use them.
And here I am, remembering why we used them in the first place.
I have them do a midyear response to the art in the folder, looking back
and discussing key pieces. This is worth part of the mid year and they take
it seriously. Do any teachers have them take a semesters worth of work
home? So there is a new folder in January?
Randy in Maine (with corn plants exceeding 7 feet in height.)PS Maine had
two tornado warnings and a hail warning for nickel sized hail this week.