Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary portfolios?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 23:03:17 PDT

My portfolios are 18x24" tagboard, folded in 1/2 to make them 12x18", taped
along one edge. This leaves two open edges, making it super easy for the
students to slide their artwork in and out without smushing it. I do grade
each artwork, but I do it by walking around the room with a clipboard and a
spreadsheet. I jot down on a 1-10 scale on effort and concept, and I am
required to give a grade for behavior. This one is easy - if I have to get
after a student I dock a point. I give 10 points per 9 weeks, and rarely do
I have a student with less than 7 behavior points. I do not grade on
completed artwork, since if a student is absent one day that may mean they
don't get a chance to finish. I cannot offer additional time for them to
come in and work due to my schedule. I do give them one class period at the
end of each semester to finish up any projects that need more time. I
usually end up with 5-7 grades per 9 weeks - 2 per project, and one
behavior. Grades 3-6 we usually complete 2 projects per 9 weeks, primary
grades end up with 5-6 projects (of which I grade 2-3 of these). I try to
make it as quick and efficient as I can, since I also have to enter them
into the computer. And students rarely ask what grade they received on a
project - which makes me curious - do others have elementary students that
are interested in their art grades?

I saw a rubric at the KAEA conference last year that I really liked -
students filled them out and attached them to the back of their artwork. I
like the idea, and I like the concept of giving feedback, but I don't know
how to work this in time wise. Do you write grades on the artworks, and how
do you manage this efficiently? With my being in 2 towns, 3 buildings daily,
and having paper to cut, grading to do, glue bottles to fill, watercups to
clean, and all the other thousand things that art teachers do, I need
something that is efficient. Ideas???
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids