Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary portfolios?

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:38:06 PDT

That sounds similar to what I do for each project--I do many of the same
projects within each grade level every year, so it is easy to pull those
documents up--or use the template to quickly make new ones for new projects.
Besides that information, I have a checklist for the project, as well--so
the students get to self-evaluate, then I evaluate the work. I have to ask
my colleague how she deals with sending those portfolios home at
trimester--how she gets the folders back. I don't think I would do that.
If I decided to keep a portfolio, I like the idea of sending it home at the
end of the year. Right now, every student has a "folder" they keep their
work-in-progress in (a 12" x 18" piece of white paper, folded in
half)--which is in a folder for their table--which is in a folder for their
day of the week (everything color coded).I have two sehelves in a cupboard I
keep those in. So, I guess it wouldn't be that difficult to just have them
keep all their 2-d projects in that folder during the year. I could
visualize having them make a tagboard portfolio to take it all home in at
the end of the year.........Again--I'm curious as to your grading system--do
you grade each individual piece? And have that grade on the piece?

I appreciate the feedback......a case of teaching an old dog new
tricks.......I'm looking for the best educational value, (but also easier
for me, as well......what you have to do, I think, when you see so many
kids, or instant burnout is the result).

Mary H.