Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary portfolios?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:26:06 PDT

I keep a tally sheet that I put the grades on - these are put into the
computerized grade book, and parents get a print out at report card time. I
don't have kids bug me about their grades until they get to middle school
(eligibility for sports comes into play here - in my district a student does
not participate in competition if they have one F, regardless if it is a
band contest, cheerleading, basketball, forensics, etc) .Grades aren't
really an issue for my students at the elementary and I don't know why. Most
of my students receive A's & B's because they really do work hard and
demonstrate they understand concepts. The students who receive lower grades
are usually absent alot and their grades suffer in all classes.

And yes, students are ok with taking projects home at the end of the year
because my students don't know any different.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids