Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary portfolios?

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 19:16:58 PDT

I keep a word document on my computer for each class. When I do a project I
write up a short description of the project, a copy of the reproduction or
visual that I used, vocabulary words, math/reading/science/history/geography
concepts addressed, and anything else that will help jog the student's
memory as well as educate the parents on the learning that takes place. At
the end of the year I print out a copy for the student to put in their
portfolio. I'm assuming that you do the same, or very similiar projects
within each grade, so if you teach K-3, that is only 4 running documents to
track. If you send these home at tri-mester do you then make new ones up? I
know from past experience that I would get maybe 5 back per class if I sent
things home.

I hang up the artwork by class, and I hang everyone's up. The only time I
single out specific artworks is for my webpage and for the museum exhibit. I
no longer give classroom teachers artwork to hang up mainly because I had a
parent compliment my project to the classroom teacher and that teacher took
credit for the lesson. So now I display all projects down my hall.
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids