Re: [teacherartexchange] Elementary portfolios?

---------

From: Holmgren (holmgren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 18:48:39 PDT

Do you include any information on the artworks in the portfolio--so parents
know what the projects were about? My colleague (who teaches 4th & 5th
grade--I have K-3rd) uses portfolios. She hands them back at the end of
each trimester, along with a summary sheet of some sort for parents. She
gives the portfolios to the homeroom teachers to hand out. Parents can come
and talk to her about them during conferences. It seems to work for her.
(Do the kids bring the folders back to art class? hmmm....I don't know about
that, will have to ask her.)

Another question: Do you display every classroom's work during the year?
I'm trying to visualize how this could work for me. I have 26 classes per
week. And, my goal is to display every child's work in the hallway at least
once during the year. I always pull out 4or 5 of the most successful pieces
from each class for a display (and keep track of which kids have had their
work up.) Then I give the rest of the work to the classroom teachers, who
generally put them up in or outside their room--which they love. I always
give them information sheets about the project to display with the work, as
well. I suppose I could still do that--and then have them return the work
to me...........forgive my rambling, and thanks for your feedback.

Mary H.