Re: [teacherartexchange] Last minute cry for help!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 21:26:10 PDT

Your principal is right - being flexible will become second nature for you!
Going from 8th graders to kinders to high school has made me very flexible!
*L* The first day your kinders will NOT know school rules. They don't know
how to line up, how to sit quietly, how to listen while you speak, how to
follow directions - most have never been in a classroom setting and will
have to learn. Just smile, encourage them, and know that teaching them basic
school procedures will get them ready to learn about art. The first day with
my kinders I make copies that say "Look at me, busy as a bee, on my first
day of school, at Flinthills Primary". I give them all yellow crayons and we
draw and color a bee, then I give them black crayons and we add details.
They now have a drawing to take home to mom, and I have survived my first
day with them! 8th graders are alot different - go over rules, expectations,
and get them excited by letting them know what kind of projects they can
expect. If you have a short lesson you might do that with them. I usually
have my middle & high school students make their own sketchbooks - we make
covers in the typical book cover fashion, but instead of sewing the pages in
I just have them slip a rubber band over the cover to hold the pages in.
This allows pages to be added or taken out easily.

I'm on Lortab due to a root canal/post insertion, so I hope this all makes
sense. I can clarify if necessary! :-)
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids