Re: [teacherartexchange] Last minute cry for help!

---------

From: M. Austin (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 20:01:04 PDT

So you have 2 days to work in your room (unless you work the weekend) before
students. Are you on a cart until the school is finished? That would make a
difference on how I'd start out, given your situation. You might go in and
give students a quick drawing lesson, which would get them excited about
coming to your class. They could spend whatever classtime is left after
drawing to color their drawing with their new markers, crayons, or colored
pencils (cause we all know they are just itching to use them!). I wouldn't
ask them to introduce themselves to you, because you may run in to a kid
that then expects you to remember their name, which will be impossible to
keep track of for awhile.

For storage I would be very specific on what you need - X number of cabinets
for storing X amount of supplies, a table at what height/width to accomodate
your paper cutter, specific needs for student storage (drying rack for flat
work, shelving for 3-D). I still find myself rearranging supplies due to
changing curriculum.

For bulletine boards I have some that I put up: "What are we going to do in
art?", with samples of a variety of projects, reproductions showing a
variety of artists (very quick and simple), a bulletine board that tells
about you - picture of you with friends/family/pets, things you like, etc.

Before sending home a supply list think about what projects you plan on
doing with them. I know as a parent I purchased watercolor paints for years
because they were on the supply list, only to see these paints at the end of
the school year still brand new. Course they would be gone by school because
I would turn my children loose with them. But, the beginning of school is an
expensive time, so you want to be able to justify expenses. I have my
students bring one thing and put into the community pot - 3rd grade brings
watercolors, 4th grade brings markers, etc. Be brand specific if you do
this.

Maybe you'll get some good advice on sending stuff home with students - I
never get it back if I allow it out of the room with my classes that I only
see once or twice a week. They do better once I have them every day. I quit
assigning homework years ago. I do have sketchbooks and portfolios - the
portfolios are a must for me. Sketchbooks don't get much use now that I see
my students once a week - there is just not enough time to do everything I
want to do with them!
~Michal
K-12 Kansas Art Teacher
http://www.geocities.com/theartkids