RE: [teacherartexchange] Sharing a classroom

---------

From: KPRS2 (kprs2_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Aug 03 2005 - 03:26:09 PDT

ah sharing...one of the little quirks about being an art teacher which is
definitely NOT like being a math or english teacher.

My suggestion is to take the other art teacher out to lunch and talk about a
few important things:

1. The room belongs to the Board of Education and to neither of you,
technically.

2. That said, the art teacher probably feels that the room is "theirs",
because they have established it as such. So ask what is important to them.
I.E. Clean up, and where the supplies are and when you can get into the room
to prep(i.e. during your preparation time). Also establish the courtesy rule
of not badmouthing each other or each other's projects in front of students.
Find out where you can display students' work in the room. Agree to work
together and support each other (like parents) in front of the students
(even if you don't like each other...ha! like parents again). Work out some
common ideas with regards to expectations of assignments etc, or students
will verbally say things such as "we don't have to do that in so in so's
class"..(i.e. keep YOUR work at the highest level possible).

3. Most importantly though, is FIND OUT WHERE YOUR STUDENTS CAN STORE THEIR
WORK SAFELY AND OUT OF THE HANDS/EYES OF THE STUDENTS THAT ARE NOT UNDER
YOUR CHARGE. (Don't recommend you scream it though! ha!). Over the years I
have used everything from a closet OUTSIDE of the classroom that locks, to
an interior storage closet where I used the top two shelves, to just the top
shelves in the classroom that kids from the other class would have to get up
on chairs to 'bother' the work (and hopefully the other teacher would
notice). Otherwise you run the risk of kids poking and prodding your
students work while the other teacher is concentrating on something else, or
doesn't realize what is happening.

4. As for the sink issue, find out where the janitors in your building get
their water to clean up, and use that 'slop closet' for your water needs. In
our school those closets are at the end of each hall. Over the years I have
taught art classes in all kinds of rooms, and have had to use all kinds of
water sources including the ladies room.

5. We have 4 art teachers in my school and 3 art rooms. As a courtesy to the
other art teachers (who are non tenured, young and enthusiastic) I roamed
between 3 non art rooms so that they could feel confident (those rooms, also
were used to the maximum. I have 30 years under my belt, and can teach
anywhere...having done so in those 30 years. They, however, are just
figuring it 'all out'.

6. Lastly, take this as an adventure...sometimes life is just that way.

San D