Re:[teacherartexchange] African Art Unit

---------

From: Peri Raygor-Yanez (perigraphics_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 01 2005 - 07:37:12 PDT

Just some suggestions: One year I introduced tattoos as an art form.
Using the encyclopedia I cut each of the sections out of copies and
gave small groups one of the selection to present. We looked at types,
cause and effect on the people who got them. This spread easily into a
project on face painting for Halloween. I, a red haired white woman,
used an African mask as a model to paint my face. I learned the mask I
painted was a lion! Once on me, the lion came alive. I had to wear it
to understand its power. It was an instant hit with my 9th graders.
George the sculpture teacher, at the district arts magnet visited the
Maori culture and suggested tattoo as art. Another friend, Janet
Broyles interviewed an African American professor of art education at
ASU on tape, then presented a Yoruban beaded tribal quilt, with each
square created by individual students. It was stunning. They visited
the Bead Museum in Glendale, AZ, who collaborated on the film. Have fun
with your project.

Peri