Re: Is it just me?( a short rant by veteran teacher)

---------

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 22:01:19 PDT

C Kerch wrote:

> <snip> I was told that because I
> switched from teaching Religion, which was a CORE subject at our
> Catholic School to Art, which is an elective, I was now deemed an
> "at-will" employee. <snip> I just stood
> there looking at my administrator shaking my head and asking the
> question "why does Art have to be justified as a class at all, it is
> just as important in the overall development of a child as any other
> subject and isn't it the whole child that we are here to teach."

Yowser, Cathy, what a thing to have to hear! I'm so fortunate to have
very supportive admin--principal, superintendent, school board--and
colleagues.

You know, art was used to teach the Church's values long before the
average person could read. Art is how its teachings were transmitted
for hundreds of years. Maybe this idea could help your admin to
understand what you're doing and why it has value.

Maggie

---