LAYERED MULTI SHAPE CANVAS SCULPTURE

---------

From: Sara (sarawren_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Aug 30 2004 - 12:07:32 PDT

LAYERED MULTI SHAPE CANVAS SCULPTURE

Steve Draeger

http://www.draegerunusualart.com/Wall_Sculptures/wall_sculptures.html

All three-dimensional wall sculptures are precisely constructed of different
varieties of wood, canvas, and painted with acrylic paints. Sometimes I will
incorporate a bit of metal. The backgrounds (whatever the shape) are
stretched canvas over wood. The mounted pieces can range from stretched
canvas, white birch, tempered masonite, mdf or metal. I love laying the
acrylics on thick, sometimes with a palette knife for extra dimension and
texture. Airbrushing is occasionally utilized. Other pieces are sprayed with
a mixture of transparent paint and acrylic urethane so the rich grain of the
white birch is visible through the intense colors. I really love to create
depth and movement along with tricking the eye a bit.

http://www.draegerunusualart.com/About_the_Artist/about_the_artist.html

I am an emerging, self-taught artist from the Midwest. As a kid growing up
in Milwaukee Wisconsin, I loved the surrealists (Magritte, Dali etc.) and
did hyper-realistic work with a bizarre twist. Over the years I have come to
love the expression and spontaneity of abstract art. About 14 years ago I
started to experiment with three-dimensional techniques and found it added
an extra push of life into my art. Along with my obvious lust for color, I
want my art to be exciting! I want the viewer to find a new aspect and the
piece to look just a little bit different every time it is studied. Also,
viewers may see a sense of humor in some of the work. Furniture, paintings,
murals or sculptures, I love it all! I love color, I live to create.

sarawren

---